Fast Food Workers Who Want To Make $15/Hr Held A Reddit AMA And It Went Horribly Wrong

Email this to a friend

Favorite

Fast-Food-Workers-Strike-Reuters-McDonalds

So, you’ve probably seen the national news story lately of fast food workers across the country demanding their wages be brought up to $15 an hour. Today, they marched from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport to Downtown Seattle for equal pay rights, or something, and decided to host an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit. I’m going to leave my personal opinion out of this and just let you enjoy the carnage of Redditors tearing these people apart (click to enlarge):

Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 4.48.04 PM

Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 4.44.46 PM Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 4.45.07 PM Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 4.45.25 PM Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 4.45.33 PM Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 4.46.17 PM Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 4.43.42 PM Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 4.44.00 PM Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 4.44.20 PM Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 4.44.35 PM

Read the entire thing here.

Email this to a friend

Favorite

Brian McGannon

What do I love? I love happy hour, a good golf tan, and getting inappropriately drunk in public. I'm the managing editor of this website. Direct all complaints to customer service. Email me: Brian@Grandex.co

More From Brian McGannon »

Trending Now

Comments

You must be logged in to comment. Log in or create an account.

1. 109
    M_Eagle

I’m sitting at my desk sipping bourbon while I read this. No real reason to share that, just felt like it.

Nice workMehLog in or sign up to reply. • 9 months ago
    • -2
      cha-ching

I think some one on reddit commented this, but most of the fast food workers are of our parents generation

Nice workMehLog in or sign up to reply. • 9 months ago
  2. 36
    Jeff16185

Wow I can’t even imagine asking for a 10% raise, let alone a 100% raise… there is a reason you don’t make a “liveable wage”… ANYONE CAN DO YOUR JOB

Nice workMehLog in or sign up to reply. • 9 months ago
  3. 33
    johnbeaux

Is this surprising? They have no knowledge of the basic concepts of supply and demand.

Nice workMehLog in or sign up to reply. • 9 months ago
  4. 32
    Iowahawkai

I had a fun talk with some of the other engineers at work about how we could automate fast food jobs if this happens

Nice workMehLog in or sign up to reply. • 9 months ago
    • -1
      FreshStart

So easily. The more minimum wage increases, the more automation projects I get to work

Nice workMehLog in or sign up to reply. • 9 months ago
  5. 18
    sir_charles

90% of my fast food orders come back incorrect or sloppy. They get $15 an hour when my Subway sandwich doesn’t look shit and the cheese on my McGriddle isn’t melted on the paper more than my actual food.

Nice workMehLog in or sign up to reply. • 9 months ago
  6. 14
    DonDraperJr

This is where it starts people. All it takes is some “Community Organizer” to incite these laborers to riot and then whose gonna serve me my eggmcmuffs in the AM?!? Communism sux

Nice workMehLog in or sign up to reply. • 9 months ago
  7. 13
    JDKnight

It’s funny because I never got my GED or HS. Yet I still busted my ass in a job I hated to make it to a point where I could make a livable wage.

I started off in retail selling sneakers; low pay shitty hours terrible bosses, but it’s what I could get. I worked in retail for I would say 4 or 5 years before I got promoted to a dept. manager.

After some time I got to be a store Manager that pays some where around 50K a year + bonus so I will end up around 55-60K a year.
    I am still pulling shit hours in a shit job that I took over ten years of my life to get into. I work long hours deal with terrible managers and have to understand how to run a business. From dealing with HR issues to P&L reports LP Inventory ect.
    Normally this would req. a business degree that I could have gotten in 2 year but instead it took 10 years of work.

Is my job hard? No it’s not but not everyone can do it. Managing millions of dollars in Inventory a staff training ect. That is not something everyone can do but I feel I am paid a fair wage based on my background. I am Lucky to have made it as far as I have.

I worked in fast food for a week and thought I do not want to do this at all. This is not what I want for my life. So I did something about it. I worked long hours I learned all about the products I was selling, I knew everything about every show / sneaker. Learned about health issued related to running pronate vs supinate shin splints everything. When I got promoted stayed with that title for a year or so and took that and got a sales lead Job with computers at Circuit City. I then learned everything I could about computers from motherboards to ram to cpu and gpu. learned about the softwares ect ect . Got promoted stayed with that job for years. Took that Job went into a large Jewelry chain as sales and worked my way up to Store Manager level over years doing the same thing learning about gold silver diamonds and gems and becoming great in sales and a leader.

So it took me over 10 years to raise my pay, sometimes working 50,60,70+ hours a week not including the study time I took to learn my products.
    Was it the smart way to do it ? No not by a long shot, but it was the way things played out for my life.

If you want to double your pay, work hard make it happen but its not going to happen from holding signs and doing a Job anyone can do. Take your work get a Job as a prep cook at olive garden or something work your way up stop asking for hand outs . Do not tell me it can’t be done because I did it.

And as you can tell by my poor grammar It doesn’t always take book smarts to get it done. Get off your ass and make something happen stop bitching

Nice workMehLog in or sign up to reply. • 9 months ago