This Craigslist posting from a San Francisco-based tech startup seeking an Assistant/Administrator for a tech start-up would probably make Erlich Bachman do a double-take.
These guys seem to want a person who can do everything, from “being OCD compatible” to “be comfortable cooking simple Paleo meals and grilling meats” and even coming up with a “recipe for the perfect gin cocktail.”
Seems like these guys don’t so much need a Personal Assistant/Office Manager as they do a Mommy/Babysitter. Seriously, some of these tasks are ridiculous.
They’ve got to cook:
“• Cook lunch – Must be comfortable cooking simple Paleo foods, grilling meats and being careful about food allergies
• Help Create meal plans for week + grocery lists
• Go Grocery Shopping when needed and order groceries online”
They’ve got to clean:
“• Keep kitchen clean – dishes/sink/loading + unloading dishwasher before + after lunch
• Clean up after lunch + put away dishes/cookware
• Prepping office for client visits (setting up projector, preparing beverages for clients)
• Keep office clean and organized, including supply closets”
They’ve got to be a freaking IT specialist:
“• Provide simple tech support to keep office running smoothly (Mac Based)
• Be comfortable working on Mac’s
• Be able to support phone lines and calendars and other office products when needed
• Research a wide variety of products, apps and services that we can use in the office
• Any basic knowledge of Illustrator and Photoshop is a plus, but not required”
They even have to be willing to do Social Media for the company, act as a custodian, partially run the company’s books; hell, these guys even want their prospective candidate to package stuff up and take it to the POST OFFICE for them. The POST OFFICE?! Are you MAD?! What kind of torture is that?!
Then again, when these guys sell their start-up to Google or Apple, this office manager is going to make some serious bank when she cashes in her stock options and will end up being like the company’s “Mom” or “Mascot” or “Godfather” and have paintings of them put up all over the lobby and be remembered fondly in the book/documentary about the company, whereas you and I will still be desk jockeys until the day we die.
Here’s the whole ad:
The post has since been taken down.