A good wedding is all about two things. The first is the bar. If it’s a dry wedding, everyone’s going to talk about how miserable your wedding was. If your bar is stocked solely with beer and wine, people are going to say, “Great wedding, but it was beer and wine only.” Fully-stocked open bar? Attendees will exclusively talk about how much fun they had without any mention of the drink selection outside of maybe, “Fuck, I shouldn’t have had so much champagne.”
But the second attribute of a great wedding is great music. Everyone knows that a DJ is the easy move and a band takes you to the next level. A wedding is only as good as it’s music, which means you need to establish having either a killer live band or a DJ who just plays the hits. Luckily, Billboard made it a lot easier for DJs to see everything they need to play by compiling a list of the most popular wedding songs.
They took a poll of 37 DJs from around the nation and compiled a ranked list of the most-played wedding songs fro the last year. And as someone who has been to more than enough weddings over the past calendar year, I can confirm that these are indeed the most played songs and it’s not even close.
1. “Uptown Funk”, Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars
2. “Shake It Off”, Taylor Swift
3. “Shut Up and Dance”, Walk the Moon
4. “Can’t Stop the Feeling”, Justin Timberlake
5. “I Wanna Dance with Somebody”, Whitney Houston
6. “September”, Earth, Wind & Fire
7. “Yeah!”, Usher feat. Lil Jon and Ludacris
8. “Don’t Stop Believin’”, Journey
9. “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough”, Michael Jackson
10. “Shout”, The Isley Brothers
While this list clearly needs to replace some of the newer flash-in-the-pan songs with “Celebration” by Kool & The Gang and “We Are Family” by Sister Sledge, each one of those songs guarantees that you’re going to pull your pants up, set your drink down, and hit the dance floor.
Either way, get used to hearing them all. Wedding season is in full swing and they’re about to be on repeat. .
Image via Shutterstock