You may only know him from his recent, and regrettably overplayed, hits such as “Same Love,” “Thrift Shop” and “Can’t Hold Us,” but Macklemore first started rapping way back in 2000 at the age of 17. Having just turned 30 this past June, Macklemore has experienced enough to know a thing or two (or 19) about life. So enough with this intro, here’s his choice advice:
1. Always ride with a posse, even if they are a strange bunch.
2. Don’t be afraid to play with the big boys.
3. Cut ties from the buzz kills, they’re just trying to ruin your party.
4. Because fuck the haters.
5. Hold on to what you love…
6. …and that includes your third-wheeling friend.
7. Because everybody needs a loyal sidekick.
8. No matter how trivial, if you appreciate something then let it be known.
9. Always, always rep your roots.
10. Don’t sacrifice a life of potential, for a buzz from a bottle.
11. It’s okay to be emotional.
12. But eventually you gotta go ahead and brush it off.
13. We want what we can’t have. Commodity makes us want it, but does that mean you really want it?
14. Confidence is key.
15. Cost and value are not one in the same.
16. Because spending $50 of your hard earned cash for a t-shirt…
17. A couple thousand for a hot tub on the other hand…
18. It’s better to go out with a bang, than to stay in with a sigh.
19. Don’t let any obstacles get in your way.